Venison Bánh Mì Sandwiches | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Yield: 2 Large baguettes (serves 4).
Time Estimate: 1 Hour.
Storage Notes: Best if enjoyed immediately.
A good bánh mì may well be the ultimate in sandwiches: a flaky baguette overloaded with zippy pickled flavors, richly flavored seared meat, and heaping bed of cilantro, all just barely held together with a spicy mayo sauce. Go all the way with making your own baguettes, quick pickles, and spicy housemade mayo - we've got recipes for all these and promise it's worth the extra legwork.
- 2 Baguettes (our homemade recipe here)
- 2 Venison rib chops
- 4 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 Tsp sesame seed oil
- 3 Tbs Sweet Hot & Sour Seasoning
- 3 Tbs Fancy AF BBQ Seasoning
- 1 Cup mayonnaise (try our homemade spicy ranch mayo)
- 1 1/2 Cup rough chopped cilantro
- 1 Large red onion
- 2-3 Large carrots
- 1/2 Cup white vinegar
- 1/2 Cup rice wine vinegar
- 4 Tbs California Sea Salt
- In a medium sauce pot, add white vinegar, rice wine vinegar, 1 cup of water, and California Sea Salt.
- Use a vegetable peeler to 'slice' thin peels of carrots, stopping when you have enough to fill a mason jar to right up to under the lip.
- Peel and finely dice red onion, again filling up a separate mason jar.
- Bring the pot to a rolling boil, then pour over thinly sliced veggies. Seal finger tight, and cool in the fridge or an ice bath for a least 30 minutes.
- Rinse and rough chop cilantro, including stems, and reserve.
- Trim bones from venison chops, and place a medium bowl with 2 Tbs vegetable oil, Sweet Hot & Sour Seasonings, and Fancy AF BBQ Seasoning. Rub marinade well into the venison, and reserve.
- If using regular mayo, add Red Hot Ranch Seasoning to taste to bring up the heat to your desired level.
- Bring a cast iron pan up to high heat, and add 2 Tbs vegetable oil. When it's simmering, add venison, cooking for around 1 1/2 minutes before flipping, and repeating on the other side.
- Remove and allow a minute or two to rest, then thinly slice into strips.
- To make your sandwich, slice baguettes almost all the way through lengthwise, and generously spread the inside with spicy mayo.
- Lay down strips of quick pickled carrots and red onions, topping with chopped cilantro.
- Finally, layer in venison strips and push down firmly to seal.
- Serve with an ice cold beverage of your choice, and devour.