Taste of California Vegan Avocado Quesadilla with Chipotle or Smoked Sea Salt Recipe
Special thank you to Britt Franklin for this wonderful and healthy idea!
Yield: 2 servings
Time estimate: 30 minutes
Storage Notes: Best if consumed immediately, can be refrigerated several days to be consumed upon reheating
This easy-to-make quesadilla has it all. Sweet. Crunchy. Healthy. Smokey. Delicious. Satisfying as a main dish or as a special side dish for a family meal, this recipe is a great for the whole family. Our Taste of California really shines here - it's lemon and strawberry flavors give lend to a special sweetness and zest, complimenting rather than overpowering the other ingredients. And topped with a sprinkle of Smoked Sea Salt or Chipotle Sea Salt, you'll find this dish is one that's requested again and again. We recommend serving these immediately, when full of healthy gooeyness.
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp minced onion
- 1 avocado
- Lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fire-roasted red pepper
- Ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp Taste of California
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- Daiya pepper jack cheese (optional)
- 1/2 to 1 cup spinach
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- Chipotle or Smoked Sea Salt
- Mince garlic and onion and sauté until tender. Set aside.
- Slice avocado, and drizzle with lemon juice. Add chopped red pepper, onions, and garlic.
- Sprinkle mixture with ground black pepper and Taste of California.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter and add tortilla. Flip to butter both sides, then sprinkle with cheese.
- Add spinach and avocado-pepper mixture. Fold. (If not using cheese, which will help the sides stick together, add avocado first and press into tortilla a bit before adding spinach and folding.)
- Drizzle maple syrup on the outside of the quesadilla as it cooks, then flip and repeat on other side. Sprinkle with preferred sea salt.
- Remove from heat when both sides brown, which will take no more than a few minutes.
- Slice and serve.
**To un-vegan: use real cheese, regular butter, and add bacon