Zesty Mediterranean Appetizer Bites | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Yield: Serves 4-6 for snacking.
Time Estimate: 30 Minutes.
Storage Notes: Best if enjoyed immediately.
Appetizers aren't just for when you're out for a nice meal or when you have company over - treat yourself and add an appetizer course to mealtimes on the weekend and see if you don't enjoy supper 10X more. This tasty appetizer is easy to put together and perfect for snacking on while the main dish comes together - perfect little bites with with just the right amount of zing.
- 1 Skirt steak (around 1.5LBs)
- 1 Tin Zesty Mediterranean Lemon Pepper BBQ Rub
- 1 Cup Greek yogurt
- 1 Telegraph cucumber
- 2 Lemons
- 8 Cherry tomatoes
- 3-4 Oz feta cheese
- 10 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 Cup parsley
- 5 Large Pitas
- Trim any excess fat from around edges of skirt steak, and pop in a large ziplock bag.
- Add 5 Tbs olive oil and 1/2 tin of Zesty Mediterranean Lemon Pepper Rub to the bag, and rub all over to evenly coat and distribute. Push as much air out as you can, seal bag, and reserve in the fridge.
- Preheat your BBQ to medium high.
- Lightly brush both sides of the pita with a little olive oil, then sprinkle with Zesty Mediterranean Lemon Pepper Rub, and reserve.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine Greek yogurt, the juice of 1 1/2 lemons, 5 Tbs olive oil, and 3 Tbs of Mediterranean Lemon Pepper Rub, to taste. Cover with saran and pop in the fridge until needed.
- Peel cucumbers, and rinse tomatoes and parsley. Thinly slice all of these, reserving until needed. Crumble and reserve feta.
- Carefully remove skirt steak from the marinade, allowing excess oil to drip off, and lay down on your grill. Surround with pitas.
- After about 3 minutes, flip steak and pitas, cooking for a further 3.
- Remove and reserve pitas in a cloth the keep warm, and check steak for doneness, removing when it's to your liking, then tent with foil.
- Cut pita into squares approximately 2" x 2", then drop a dollop of yogurt mix on each.
- Slice steak into small squares, approximately 1"x 1".
- Top pitas and yogurt with cucumbers and tomato, then steak, garnishing with crumbled feta and minced parsley.
- Arrange bites on an appetizer plate, serve, and devour.