Yakitori Hatsu (Chicken Heart) | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
- Yield: 4 Skewers.
- Time Estimate: 30 Minutes.
- Storage Notes: Best if enjoyed immediately.
- Difficulty: Easy.
If you've never had yakitori chicken hearts, you're missing out. We aren't ashamed to admit we know our way around some snacks, and never has there been a more perfect pairing than ice cold beer and yakitori hatsu.
Inexpensive as can be from an Asian supermarket or your local butcher (around $2.50 for 20 or so hearts), they are the perfect vehicle for addictively sweet, tangy, tacky homemade yakitori sauce, tempered with the grassy, bight flavors of both roasted and raw minced green onions. Wash it all down with a frosty one - 乾杯!
- 1 1/2-2 Lbs chicken hearts
- 15 Green onions
- 1/2 Cup soy sauce
- 1/2 Cup mirin
- 1 Full tin Zesty Lemon Cane Sugar
- 2 Tbs Everything Brooklyn Bagel Seasoning
- 2 Tbs Spicy Red Curry Seasoning
- 1 1/2 Tbs maple syrup
- 1/4th Cup dry sake
- 2 Tbs distilled water
- Preheat grill to high, and soak wooden skewers for at least 30 minutes.
- Trim excess fat from heats, slice in half lengthwise, and remove and discard any veins or blood vessels. Rinse under cold water, strain, and reserve.
- In a medium sauce pot, bring soy sauce, mirin, sake, maple syrup, water and Zesty Lemon Cane Sugar to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, whisking occasionally.
- Trim ends off green onions and rinse, discarding any loose or discolored parts of the stem.
- Cut two segments from the bottom of each stem, each about 1.5-2" long, and reserve. Mince about 1/3 of the tops of the stems, and reserve.
- Begin assembling the skewers: a segment of green onion, 2-3 hearts, and repeat, making sure skewers are bookended with green onions.
- Arrange skewers on BBQ, and spoon over reduced yakitori sauce.
- Maintain high heat, and flip every 2 minutes, spooning sauce over each side as you do.
- After about 10 minutes, remove from heat, and sprinkle all over with Spicy Red Curry Seasoning, Everything Brooklyn Bagel Seasoning, and minced green onions.
- Serve immediately with an ice cold beverage, and devour.