Whole Chicken Sunday Roast | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
- Yield: Serves 4.
- Time Estimate: 2 Hours.
- Storage Notes: Best if enjoyed immediately, will keep for up to 3 days covered and refrigerated.
- Difficulty: Easy.
Sunday roasts are one of our favorite things, and this whole bird recipe ticks all the right boxes. We use a covered small roaster from Emile Henry for occasions like this: just the right amount of space for a whole bird & plenty of hearty winter veggies like parsnips, potatoes, carrots, and sweet potatoes. Everything goes in the baker at once, and it all comes out just right: crispy, herby skin, juicy white and dark meat, and perfectly seasoned veggies, all from one pot for a beautiful presentation and easy clean up. We always think we'll have leftovers when we start prepping this meal, but ever since we've started making these, the roaster's been scraped clean.
- 1 Whole medium to large chicken, cleaned and thawed
- 1 Full tin This Thing of Ours Seasoning
- 1 Full tin Turkey Burger Seasoning
- 2 Tbs Granulated Garlic
- 2 - 3 Large sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 Parsnips
- 2 Large carrots
- 1 Lb baby potatoes
- 1 Medium sweet potato
- 1 Large white onion
- 4 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- A couple good sprays of duck fat spray
- 2 Sticks unsalted butter
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Rinse baby potatoes, cutting larger ones in half to make them all roughly them same size. Rinse and peel parsnips, carrots, and sweet potato, cutting into cubes approximately the same size as the potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Combine potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and sweet potato in large mixing bowl, then rough chop the white onion, and add.
- Drizzle over olive oil, and pour in a whole tin of This Thing of Ours and 2 Tbs of Granulated Garlic, before gently mixing everything to fully incorporate and combine.
- Spray roaster with duck fat, and rub around to evenly coat the bottom and about 2" - 2 1/2" up on each site.
- Pat dry chicken, and place in the center of the small roaster.
- Rub the top of the chicken with 1 stick of room temperature butter, and pop the other stick in the freezer.
- Generously rub the chicken with Turkey Burger Seasoning - try to get in all the nooks and evenly spread the spices around.
- Begin filling in the gaps around the bird with the veggie medley, filling up to around half way up the chicken.
- Arrange a couple sprigs of fresh rosemary around the bird, then remove butter from the freezer, cut into small cubes, and sprinkle over both the chicken and the par boiled veggies.
- Top the roaster, pop in the oven, and cook for for about 1:20 to 2 Hours depending on the size of your bird, or until the chicken has an internal temperature of 185F.
- Remove lid, and cook for a further 8-10 minutes for extra crispy skin.
- Retrieve from the oven, allow a couple minutes for it to cool, then carve and plate along with roast veggies.
- Drizzle reserved pan drippings over everything, serve, and devour.
If you'd like to get your hands on this handsome roaster, use code GV20 for 20% off at https://www.emilehenryusa.com/