Vanilla Pumpkin Spice Crème Brûlée | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
- Yield: Serves 3-4
- Time Estimate: 10 hours, including 9 unattended.
- Storage Notes: Will keep for 2 days, covered and refrigerated.
- Difficulty: Easy.
We love everything about crème brûlée, each and every scoop of decadent, creamy custard, topped with shards of shattered glassy, just-a-touch burnt cane sugar. And we especially love how customizable it is: here, we've made a 'Fall Special', leveraging both Vanilla Pumpkin Spice Cane Sugar and Crystallized Honey Sea Salt to create a crème brûlée custom built for sweater season.
- 5 Egg yolks
- 2 Cups Heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 Tsp Crystallized Honey Sea Salt
- 1/2 Cup (around 2 1/2 tins) Vanilla Pumpkin Spice Cane Sugar, plus 4 Tbs to finish
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together cream and Crystallized Honey Sea Salt, and gently bring up to a warm temperate, just under simmering, before removing from heat.
- Beat egg yolks and Vanilla Pumpkin Spice Cane Sugar together in a bowl until light - around 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour around 1/2 Cup of the warm cream into the egg mix to temper it, whisking to incorporate.
- Pour entirety of egg mixture into the cream, whisking vigorously as you do so.
- Pour mixture into ramekins, then place in a large baking dish, pouring in boiling water to halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Pop in the oven, uncovered, and cook for 35 minutes.
- Remove, allow them to cool for 30 minutes uncovered, then cover with saran and pop in the fridge for at least 9 hours, and up to 2 days.
- When ready to serve, remove from the fridge, dust tops with around 1 1/2 Tbs of Vanilla Pumpkin Spice Cane Sugar.
- Caramelize with a culinary blow torch or a couple of minutes under the boiler.
- Allow a further minute for the sugar to set, serve, and devour.