Ultimate Thanksgiving Turkey Dressing | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Yield: About 10 Servings.
Time Estimate: 1 Hour 45 minutes, including 90 minutes unattended.
Storage Notes: Will keep covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
We take no sides in the stuffing vs. dressing debate - we like both, and so make both, so there's always plenty for everyone. This decadent dressing, cooked outside the bird, more than makes up for an lost goodness with the addition of savory bacon, adding a rich 'come back' flavor that'll keep the dressing vs stuffing debate going on long after Thanksgivings dishes are put away.
- 1 Loaf white bread
- 1 Tin Everything But The Sunday Roast Seasoning
- 10-12 Strips cooked thick bacon
- 2 Cups chopped celery
- 1 Large white onion
- 4 Cloves garlic
- 2 Cups no/low sodium chicken stock
- 1 Egg
- A few good spritzes of cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Working a couple stacked slices at a time, cut bread into squares, roughly 1"x1". Scatter across a baking sheet, spritz with cooking oil, and pop in the oven, cooking for 10-12 minutes, or until browned.
- Remove, and reserve in a large bowl.
- Rinse and chop ends off celery, discarding ending, and chop, adding to the bowl.
- Peel and mince onion and garlic, likewise adding, along with crumbled cooked bacon.
- Shake in a full tin of Everything But the Sunday Roast Seasoning, then pour over both Cups of chicken stock.
- Crack in an egg.
- Stir and fold to combine well - the mixture may appear to be overly 'wet', but much of this will cook off in the oven.
- Spoon mixture into a rectangular ceramic baking dish, like this handsome one from Emile Henry.
- Cover loosely with foil, and pop in the oven, cooking for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, and cook for a further 20-25 minutes, until the top is well browned and the consistency is firm.
- Remove and reserve - this will only get better if made the day before, so we like to prepare the day before and reheat in the oven when needed so there's one less thing to worry about on Thanksgiving.
- Serve alongside turkey, douse with gravy, and devour.
If you'd like to check out this handsome baking dish, head over to Emile Henry, and while you're at it, take 20% off with code 'GV20'.