Sunday Supper Whole Roast Chicken | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Our ideal Sunday supper is one without a lot of fuss and flexible enough to incorporate the last of the week's veggies. Truss up the chicken properly (don't forget the stuffing!) and cook everything a small covered roaster - this is an easy, can't-fail recipe for tender, moist chicken with a hearty serving of veggies.
- 1 Whole chicken (5-6 Lbs)
- 4 Tbs California Cajun Seasoning
- 3 Tbs California Sea Salt
- 2 Large carrots
- 5-6 Sticks of celery
- 2 Lbs fingerling or baby potatoes
- 1 Large white onion
- 1 Tbs Granulated Garlic
- 5 Cloves garlic
- 2-3 Slices bread
- 1/4 Cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 3 Sticks unsalted butter
- About 3 feet of cooking twine for trussing
- Rinse potatoes, and add to a pot of boiling salted water, cooking for 15 minutes. Strain, halve, and reserve.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Rinse and peel carrots & onion, and rough chop along with celery. Reserve.
- Melt butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1/3rd of the butter, 1 Tb each of California Cajun Seasoning & California Sea Salt, roughly shredded bread, stock, and 1/2 of the onions, carrots, and celery. Stuff all you can in the chicken.
- Truss the chicken, and place in the roaster.
- Surround and pack in the chicken with potatoes, celery, onions, and carrots, and any remaining stuffing mix.
- Add Granulated Garlic, California Sea Salt, and California Cajun Seasoning to remaining butter, whisking to fully incorporate.
- Pour over your bird, rubbing in as you do, and spoon over surrounding veggies.
- Top roaster, and pop in the oven for 1:10 minutes.
- Carefully remove top, and cook a further 5-8 minutes for a lovely crispy skin.
- Remove from oven, replace top, and allow 10 minutes for the bird to rest.
- Slice off cooking twine, carve your bird, serve, and devour.
If you'd like to get your hands on this handsome small roaster, use code GV20 for 20% off at https://www.emilehenryusa.com/