Strawberry Spoon Cake | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Yield: Makes 1 cake of around 6 generous portions.
Time Estimate: 30 Minutes.
Storage Notes: Best if enjoyed immediately, can be kept covered for up to 2 days.
Ready in 30 minutes, this simple spoon cake is both crunchy and spongy, sweet and tart, light and rich, and all together bursting with vibrant strawberry flavor.
It's summer in a dish: casual, bright, fun, and best when shared with friends.
- 1 Cup flour
- 1/2 Cup whole milk
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter
- 3 Tins California Strawberry Cane Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cup sliced and cored strawberries
- 1 Tsp California Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- Core and slice strawberries, and combine in a medium bowl with 1 1/2 tins California Strawberry Cane Sugar and California Sea Salt.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt butter in a microwave, then whisk in large bowl with room temperature milk, before beating in flour, baking powder, and another whole tin of California Strawberry Cane Sugar.
- Continue whisking until smooth, then pour in strawberry mix, and fold together with a spoon.
- Lightly grease an oval baking dish, like this handsome one from Emile Henry, then spoon in mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Increase heat to 450F, sprinkle on remaining California Strawberry Cane Sugar, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and allow a couple minutes to cool slightly.
- Spoon generous amounts into bowls (with a bit of vanilla ice cream if you have some), serve, and devour.
If you'd like to acquire this handsome oval baking dish, head over to Emile Henry, and while you're at it, take 20% off with code 'GV20'.