Strawberries & Cream Cake with Strawberry Frosting | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Yield: One 11" x 8" frosted cake.
Time Estimate: 5 Hours, including 3 hours unattended.
Storage Notes: Can be kept, covered and refrigerated, for up to 3 days.
It's nearly Summer, and we thought we'd get a jump on the long hot days to come with this decadent strawberry cake. It does take a bit of time, but we promise it's worth it - keep it in the fridge and bring out during the mid-day sun for a delicious summery treat.
IngredientsFor The Cake
- 2 Cups flour
- 2 Cups rough chopped strawberries (About 25)
- 1 Tsp Probiotic Ocean Salt
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Tsp baking soda
- 2 Tsp baking powder
- 1 Small tin (8oz) crushed pineapple
- 1/2 Cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 Cup chopped pecans
- 3 Full tins California Strawberry Cane Sugar
- 1 Cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 & 1/2 Sticks (1 1/2 cup) butter
For The Strawberry Cream Frosting and Strawberry Topping
- 5 Cups icing sugar
- 2 Full Tins California Strawberry Cane Sugar
- 2 Packs (16 oz) cream cheese
- 1/2 Cup melted butter
- 1 Cup strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift in flour, and whisk in baking powder, baking soda, and Probiotic Ocean Salt.
- Cube butter, and microwave twice for 30 seconds to melt.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream California Strawberry Cane Sugar, packed brown sugar, and eggs, then add melted butter.
- Whisking as you do, gradually pour in dry ingredients, around 1/3rd at a time, stirring until just combined.
- Remove stems from the berries, then rough chop and add, along with walnuts and pecans.
- Strain crushed pineapple, and add.
- Fold everything together until combined, then pour into a lightly greased ceramic baker, like this handsome one from Emile Henry.
- Smooth & evenly distribute with your spatula, and pop in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Use the toothpick test to check for doneness, reducing heat to 300F and cooking for longer as needed, checking in every 4-5 minutes until the toothpick comes out clean and dry.
- Remove from oven and allow for cool for about 90 minutes.
- To make your buttercream frosting, add California Strawberry Cane Sugar and powdered sugar to a large bowl.
- Microwave butter for 20-30 seconds to melt, and add, along with room temperature cream cheese.
- Use a hand mixer to thoroughly combine, then smooth a generous amount over the cake, creating an even layer as you do.
- Loosely tent with aluminium foil, and pop in the fridge for an hour.
- To make your garnish, de-stem and thinly chop strawberries lengthwise, and dusting with a bit of California Strawberry Cane Sugar.
- Remove cake from the fridge, and decorate with sliced strawberries.
- Serve at room or fridge temperature, and devour.