Spicy Thai Larb Lettuce Wraps | Recipeish | Gustus Vutae
Time Estimate: 40 Minutes.
Storage Notes: Best if enjoyed immediately.
These light Thai larb lettuce wraps burst with bright summery flavors - spicy, tangy, citrusy, and sharp, they're perfect for light lunches or dinners. This recipe makes a bit extra of the addictive, creamy avocado sauce - use it the next day as a dip for chips & crudités, or simply to elevate whatever's on tomorrows menu.
For the larb and accoutrements
- 1 Lb ground turkey
- 1 Cup rough chopped cilantro
- 1/2 Red onion
- 4 Cloves garlic
- 2 Spring onions
- 2 Large carrots
- 12-15 Lettuce leaves/cups
- 1 Lime (juiced), plus another for garnish
- 1 Tbs high heat cooking oil
- 2 Tsp sesame seed oil
- 1 Tin Taste of Thailand Seasoning
- 2 Tbs Habanero Sea Salt
For the avocado sauce
- 2 Ripe avocados
- 1 Cup rough chopped cilantro
- 1/2 Cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 Cloves garlic
- 1 Lime (juiced)
- 1 1/2 Tbs Habanero Sea Salt
- 4 Tbs Taste of Thailand Seasoning
- Make the sauce first: rinse and rough chop all cilantro, adding half to a blender and reserving half for garnish. Peel and mince garlic, adding per instructions to blender and reserving the remainder for the larb.
- Remove avocado skins and pit, plopping into blender along with heavy whipping cream, Habanero Sea Salt, and Taste of Thailand Seasoning.
- Juice lime, cover, and pulse, scraping down sides as needed until mixture blends evenly. Taste, adding more Habanero Sea Salt as desired, remove sauce to a bowl. Cover with saran and refrigerate until needed.
- Bring your BBQ up to medium high heat, and place a large Grill Plank, like this handsome one from Emile Henry, on top.
- Rinse green onions, discarding roots, and cut lengthwise into long, thin strands, reserving.
- Peel onion, slicing 1/2 into strands, and mincing the other 1/2.
- Peel carrots and discard, then use the peeler to cut carrots into long, thin strands, and reserve.
- Add high heat oil and sesame oil to your grill plank, then onions, cooking and stirring for about 5 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and minced garlic, then shake over Taste of Thailand Seasoning and Habanero Sea Salt.
- Mix using a spatula, and press down into a roughly uniform 'cake'. Cook for about 4 minutes, then break up, tossing and mixing around turkey, and then forming another 'cake'. Squeeze lime juice on top, the cook for a further 4 minutes.
- Rinse lettuce leaves, discarding any with major tears or that won't form sturdy taco-like cups.
- Remove larb from heat and place in a bowl for serving.
- To make lettuce wraps, spoon in a generous amount of avocado sauce, then top with larb.
- Garnish with cilantro, spring onions, red onions, and carrot, before giving a final small dusting of Habanero Sea Salt for a pop of heat.
- Assemble all the lettuce cups (you'll have some sauce left over), serve with some ice cold beverages, and devour.
If you're like to try this easy, delicious summer recipe, check out Emile Henry's line of fine ceramic grilling cookware, and while you're at it, take 20% off with code 'GV20'.