Spicy Air Fryer Chicken Lollipops | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Drumstick lollipops are a great appetizer for a group: the perfect sharable snack for a BBQ, or a late afternoon bite with the fam. These savory lollipops come out perfectly in an air-fryer - just the thing if you don't want mess around on the BBQ or already have something in the smoker and want a treat to tide you over.
Don't forget the homemade tzatziki - this is summertime on the bone, and built for enjoying and sharing with others who like good things.
- Yield: 6-10 lollipops.
- Time: About 40 minutes, including 20 unattended.
- Storage Notes: Best if enjoyed immediately.
- Difficulty: Medium.
- 6-10 Drumsticks
- 2/3rds Cup cornstarch
- 8 Tbs Chef's Kiss Spicy BBQ Mix
- 1 1/2 Tbs Greek Tzatziki Sea Salt
- 4 Tbs Extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3rds Container sour cream (around 10 oz)
- 4 Tbs creme fraiche
- 2 Spring onions
- 1 Good handful of parsley
- 2 Lemons
- To make the lollipops, use a sharp knife to cut to bone in a circular motion just were the largest part of the drumstick begins to taper off.
- Carefully, use kitchen shears or a knife to cut down to the end of the drumstick, removing and discarding any meat or skin as you do. If you haven't made a clean cut to the tendons, cut them away now - you're looking to just have exposed bone below the meaty part of the drumstick.
- Grasping the end of the drumstick in one hand and pushing down with the other, force the meat and skin down as much as you can, forming the 'lollipop'.
- Prep three small bowls: one with cornstarch, one with Spicy BBQ Mix, and one with 2 Tbs olive oil.
- Dip the lollipop ends in the olive oil, then cornstarch, then Spicy BBQ Mix. Smear a bit more olive oil on to ensure a good coating, add a bit more of the seasoning, and proceed with the remaining lollipops.
- Preheat air fryer at 400F for around 3-5 minutes.
- Arrange drumsticks in air fryer, making sure they're not overlapping; work in batches if need be. Cook at 400F for 10 minutes.
- As they're cooking, prep your sauce.
- Finely dice parsley and Spring onions, and fold into a large bowl with creme fraiche, sour cream, juice of one lemon, remaining olive oil, and Greek Tzatziki Sea Salt. Cover, and pop in the fridge as you wait for the lollipops to finish.
- After 10 minutes, flip the lollipops on their opposing side, and cook for a further 8-10 minutes.
- Serve lollipops with some lemons and plenty of tzatziki sauce - they're addictive but spicy as all get out and you'll be glad for the relief.
- Make sure to take the 'cook's cut' and reserve one for yourself - these go fast!