Spiced Red Wine Poached Pears | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
- Yield: 4 servings.
- Time Estimate: Around 1.5 hours, including 1 hour unattended.
- Storage Notes: Pears will keep for 3-4 days, syrup for 2 weeks..
- Difficulty: Easy.
This dessert is a show stopper, perfect for a special date night or when we want to end a dinner party on a bang. What's great too is that everything can be prepared in advance, and when you're ready, just takes a minute to prep and serve. This one is on our 'we'll be making this forever' list - we're sure you'll want to add it to yours too.
- 2 large asian pears
- 1/3 bottle decent red wine - a $10 buck beaujolias is perfect and you can drink the rest at supper.
- 2 Tbs Apple Pie Cane Sugar
- 2 Tbs Gingerbread Cane Sugar
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- Peel pears, and using a new scour/scrub pad, lightly polish the pear so that's its even all around.
- Vacuum seal pears with wine and Apple Pie and Gingerbread cane sugars.
- Cook sous vide for 1-2 hours at 175F.
- Remove pears as gently as possible, and reserve in a ziplock bag with as much air squeezed out as possible. Refrigerate at least 2 hours, or for up to 2 days.
- Pour pear and sugar jus into a medium sauce pan, and simmer on medium-low for around 1 hour, stirring regularly. You're going for a thick, sweet syrup consistency.
- Remove from heat and pour into a small jar.
- To serve: core chilled pears and slice into thin segments. Arrange with vanilla ice, drizzle over warm syrup, and give a final dusting of Apple Pie and Gingerbread cane sugars.
- Devour, and commence planning on when you will make and eat this again.