Roasted Red Peppers & Garlic Preserves | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Yield: Makes 3 Small, wide mason jars.
Time Estimate: 1:30, including 50 minutes unattended
Storage Notes: Will keep covered and refrigerated for up to 10 days, frozen for up to 2 months.
This little side dish is truly more than the sum of it's parts: oven roasting these red bell peppers and garlic with a bit of good olive oil and a generous dusting of seasoning until well charred transforms them from simple, crunchy veggies into a deeply savory, profoundly rich side that will light up appetizers from antipasto plates to full on charcuterie boards.
These also make lovely host/hostess gifts: next time you're invited for dinner, bring this instead of a bottle of wine - we promise you'll get a big thank you the next day!
- 4-5 Large bell peppers
- 4 Bulbs garlic
- 1 1/2-2 Cups extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4ths Tin Bang Bang Flavor Gang BBQ Blend
- Special Equipment Required: Small squat mason jars for storage
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Rinse bell peppers, discard stems, and cut lengthwise into quarters.
- Trim and discard the white internal membranes, and any seeds.
- In a large bowl, toss together bell pepper slices, 1/2 Cup olive oil, and 4 Tbs Bang Bang Flavor Gang BBQ Blend, until well coated.
- Spread skin-side down on a baking tray, taking care to not overlap the peppers.
- Slice tops off garlic bulbs, exposing the tops of cloves, and discarding any excess flaky skin.
- Arrange garlic on baking tray, top side up, drizzling bulbs with a bit of oil.
- Pop in the oven and roast, uncovered, for about 12 minutes, then rotate, roasting for a further 10-15 minutes, or until bulbs and tips of peppers start to char.
- Remove from oven and allow 20 minutes to fully cool.
- Working one by one, carefully peel and discard bell pepper skins, reserving the strips of flesh.
- Evenly divide peppers into mason jars, then gently squeeze the garlic bulbs - the soft garlic should come out easily. Discard skins and any remainder.
- Shake remaining Bang Bang Flavor Gang over the jars, then top up with olive oil to just under the threads, fully coating the peppers and garlic.
- Seal finger tight, label with the date, and reserve. They'll keep for a few days unrefrigerated, about 10 days refrigerated (but take care to thaw 12 hours before using), and 1-2 months in the freezer.
- These are lovely spread on crusty bread, as a topper for smoked fish, or as deliciously flavorful side all their own on a charcuterie board.