Pull Apart Blueberry & Blue Spirulina Muffins | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Yield: 8 Small but mighty muffins.
Time Estimate: 45 Minutes, including 35 unattended.
Storage Notes: Best if eaten day of, will keep covered in a tin for up to 3 days.
The lovely mini-muffins are a snap to make and disappear just as quickly! The Blue Spirulina Superfood Sea Salt is a 1:1 replacement for regular table salt, tastes just like salt, and adds an extra bit of blueness and health benefits to an otherwise indulgent morning snack. We're torn on how we like these best - steaming out of the oven with a pat of melting butter on top, or after they cool, dredged in a generous dollop of whipped cream.
- 1 Cup fresh blueberries
- 1 Cup flour
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 2 Egg yolks
- 4 Tbs unsalted butter, melted, plus a bit more to grease the baker
- 8 Tbs whole milk
- 1/4 Tsp Blue Spirulina Superfood Sea Salt
- 6 Tbs Blueberry Pie Cane Sugar
- Special Equipment: Crown Bread Baker
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a fork to quickly stir together flour, Blue Spirulina Superfood Sea Salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, cream eggs, Blueberry Pie Cane Sugar, and butter, then slowly pour in milk, still beating.
- Pour liquids into dry mix, using a fork to fully incorporate. After a minute or two of stirring, you should have an even but firm dough.
- Pour in blueberries and fold in. It's OK to crush as few as you do so - the batter is deliberately under-watered to account for them, so mashing a few as you stir them in is all good.
- Use a bit of butter to grease the Crown Bread Baker, then dust in and tap out a sprinkle of flour.
- With wet hands, form 8 smallish balls, distributing them around the baker. Don't worry about any imperfections - this a homey dish and the unevenness will give you some lovely textured crunchy bits.
- Cover the baker and pop in the oven for 30 minutes. Check for doneness - the tops should be just beginning to brown and a toothpick should come out clean - baking for a further 5 minutes as needed.
- Remove from oven, remove top, and allow 5 minutes to cool and settle.
- Carefully remove each mini-muffin.
- Serve immediately, sliced down the middle with a pat of butter melting in the center, or save for a bit later for when they cool fully, and enjoy with a generous dollop of whipped cream.
If you'd like to check out this handsome Crown Bread Baker, head over to Emile Henry, and while you're at it, take 20% off with code 'GV20'.