Prosciutto Stuffed Artichokes | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Yield: 4 Large appetizer-sized halves.
Time Estimate: 1 Hour.
Storage Notes: Best if enjoyed immediately.
These overly-generous stuffed artichokes make for a delectable dinner party appetizer, and are hearty enough on their own for a light lunch with a small group. The intensely savory stuffing makes for a lovely contrast with the herbaceous leaves, and the whole thing is delicious down to the last bite - scrape the dipping bowl clean with the tender heart for a perfect ending to a Fall lunch.
- 2 Large artichokes
- 1 Cup panko
- 1 White onion
- 1/3 Cup chopped olives
- 2 Lemons
- 4 Cloves garlic
- 8 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Whole tin Taste of Tuscany Seasoning
- 5 Tbs Garlic Basil Sea Salt
- 3 Tbs Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 12 oz prosciutto
- Small handful of fresh basil for garnish
- 1 Cup finely grated Parmesan cheese.
- 1 Cup crème fraîche
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil, and top with 2 steamer boxes.
- Remove the largest outside leaves from artichokes, trim very end off stem, and slice in half lengthwise.
- Remove hairy choke centers, and squeeze the juice of one lemon over the artichokes.
- Place in the steamer, and steam for 30 minutes.
- Wash and dice bell peppers, peel and dice onion, and dice prosciutto.
- Rough chop olives.
- Bring a large cast iron pan up to high heat, and add 1 Tbs of extra virgin olive oil.
- Add prosciutto, and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add onions, bell peppers and olives, cooking for a further 5 minutes and stirring constantly.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl, adding Taste of Tuscany, 4 Tbs of Garlic Basil Sea Salt, 2 Tbs Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, 3 Tbs olive oil, 1/2 Cup of Parmesan, and panko. Mix to thoroughly combine.
- Drizzle a small amount of olive oil into a medium sized ceramic dish, like this handsome one from Emile Henry.
- Arrange artichoke halves in baker, and overfill each with prosciutto mix, topping with remaining 1/2 Cup of Parmesan.
- Pop in the oven and bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes, until well browned.
- While the artichokes are baking, make the sauce by combining crème fraîche, the juice of 1 lemon, and 1 Tbs each Garlic Basil Sea Salt and olive oil. Cover and reserve in the fridge.
- Remove artichokes from oven and arrange on a serving plate with dipping sauce in the center.
- Garish with basil leaves, sprinkle with Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, and give everything a final drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve with small forks and devour - these generous appetizers make for a lovely starter for a dinner party, or are quite enough as a light lunch for a small group.