Perfect Chicken Sandos | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Yield: 4 Perfect sandos.
Time Estimate: 45 Minutes, plus an overnight.
Storage Notes: Best if enjoyed immediately.
There are many fried chicken sandwiches, but this one is ours. We don't swing into a particular cuisine or genre, there aren't a ton of varied ingredients, and the cut is just your standard bone-out thigh. What makes this magic is doing the simple things right: quality chicken, an overnight in spiced buttermilk, and a robust seasoning that enhances without overpowering.
- 4 Chicken thighs, skin on & bone removed
- 1 1/2 Cups buttermilk
- 1 Tin Perfect Poultry BBQ Rub
- 1 Large pickle
- 1/3 Head purple cabbage
- 3 Cups cooking oil
- 8 Slices American cheese
- 4 Burger buns
- 1 Cup mayo
- 1 Cup cornstarch
- 1 Cup panko crumbs
- 1 Pat of unsalted butter
- 3 Large eggs
- Debone thighs if needed, and trim off any excess skin overhanging meat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk and 1/2 Tin Perfect Poultry BBQ Rub.
- Drop thighs in marinade, cover with saran, and pop in the fridge for tomorrow's lunch.
- Bring a high walled cast iron pan or large pot up to medium high heat.
- Melt butter, and toast buns, then reserve. Pour in oil, and bring up to just under smoking - between 420-460F.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, beat together mayo and 1/4th tin Perfect Poultry BBQ Rub.
- Combine shredded cabbage with half of the mayo, cover both slaw mix and mayo, and reserve in the fridge until needed. Slice pickle into thin rounds, and likewise reserve.
- Prepare your dredging station:
- 1 bowl whisked cornstarch and remaining 1/4th of Perfect Poultry BBQ Rub
- 1 bowl panko
- 1 bowl beaten eggs
- Remove marinating chicken from the fridge, and drain.
- One at a time, pick up a thigh and allow excess buttermilk to drip off, dredge in cornstarch & spice mix, then egg wash, then panko.
- Carefully, and one at a time, fry thighs for about 1 minute in the oil - the super-high heat oil will brown them very quickly and create an amazing crust that's not oily, but they'll need a second bake to finish.
- Remove chicken to a drying rack on an oven tray, and repeat with remaining 3 pieces, keeping the oil temperature super high.
- Once all thighs have fried, top each with 2 slices of American cheese, slide the tray into the oven, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until they have reached an internal temp of 165F, then remove.
- Place a dollop of the BBQ-spiced mayo the bottom buns, then top with fried chicken. Top this with slaw, then two pickles, then crown.
- Serve your sandos with an ice cold beverage and some kettle chips, and devour.