Dutch Oven Beef Bourguignon | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Yield: Serves 4.
Time Estimate: 16 Hours, including 15 1/2 unattended .
Storage Notes: Will keep covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Beef Bourguignon - everything about this hearty meal is perfect for colder weather. Richly flavored, melting tender beef and plump roasted veggies, all resting atop creamy mashed potatoes. You'll need a bottle of red wine for this one - might as well treat yourself to a glass too as you prepare this easy, decadent French classic.
- 2-3 Lbs stew beef (brisket, flank, or chuck all work very well)
- 1 Tin Spicy Black Truffle BBQ Rub
- 6 Cups precooked mashed potatoes
- 1 Bottle pinot noir
- 1 Stick unsalted butter
- 2 Cups no/low sodium beef stock
- 1 Rasher (16 oz) bacon
- 1 Large carrot
- 3 Stalks celery
- 1 Large white onion
- 2 Tbs all purpose flour
- 6 Cloves garlic
- 3-4 Tbs minced parsley, to garnish.
- Special Equipment Required: Ceramic Dutch Oven
- Rough chop bacon, adding to the cold dutch oven, and bring up to medium high heat, cooking the bacon until fully rendered - about 10 minutes.
- As this is cooking, wash and peel carrot and celery, discarding ends and slicing into small rounds.
- Peel and rough chop onion, peel and mince garlic.
- Trim meat of any excess fat or silverside, and chop into squares of roughly 1".
- Remove rendered bacon, and quickly sear beef, browning but not cooking through.
- Remove dutch oven from heat, and add in celery, carrots, onion, garlic, and 3/4 Tin of Spicy Black Truffle BBQ Rub.
- Pour over red wine, stirring to combine.
- Rest, covered, in the fridge for 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Remove dutch oven from the fridge, and strain out red wine - if a little is leftover, that's just fine.
- Add in butter, sprinkle over flour, and pour in stock, stirring to combine.
- Cover and begin slow cooking in the oven. At the 2 1/2 hour mark, test for doneness - the beef should be meltingly tender. Depending on your preference, cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, uncover, and gently stir. Taste for seasoning, adding additional Spicy Black Truffle BBQ Rub to your liking.
- Spoon onto a warm soft pile of mashed potatoes, garnish with parsley, toast your dining companions, and devour.
If you'd like to check out this handsome dutch oven, head over to Emile Henry, and while you're at it, take 20% off with code 'GV20'.