Dutch Oven Beef Bourguignon | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Yield: Serves 4.
Time Estimate: 16 Hours, including 15 1/2 unattended .
Storage Notes: Will keep covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Beef Bourguignon - everything about this hearty meal is perfect for colder weather. Richly flavored, melting tender beef and plump roasted veggies, all resting atop creamy mashed potatoes. You'll need a bottle of red wine for this one - might as well treat yourself to a glass too as you prepare this easy, decadent French classic.
- 2-3 Lbs stew beef (brisket, flank, or chuck all work very well)
- 1 Tin Spicy Black Truffle BBQ Rub
- 6 Cups precooked mashed potatoes
- 1 Bottle pinot noir
- 1 Stick unsalted butter
- 2 Cups no/low sodium beef stock
- 1 Rasher (16 oz) bacon
- 1 Large carrot
- 3 Stalks celery
- 1 Large white onion
- 2 Tbs all purpose flour
- 6 Cloves garlic
- 3-4 Tbs minced parsley, to garnish.
- Special Equipment Required: Dutch Oven
- Rough chop bacon, adding to the cold dutch oven, and bring up to medium high heat, cooking the bacon until fully rendered - about 10 minutes.
- As this is cooking, wash and peel carrot and celery, discarding ends and slicing into small rounds.
- Peel and rough chop onion, peel and mince garlic.
- Trim meat of any excess fat or silverside, and chop into squares of roughly 1".
- Remove rendered bacon, and quickly sear beef, browning but not cooking through.
- Remove dutch oven from heat, and add in celery, carrots, onion, garlic, and 3/4 Tin of Spicy Black Truffle BBQ Rub.
- Pour over red wine, stirring to combine.
- Rest, covered, in the fridge for 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Remove dutch oven from the fridge, and strain out red wine - if a little is leftover, that's just fine.
- Add in butter, sprinkle over flour, and pour in stock, stirring to combine.
- Cover and begin slow cooking in the oven. At the 2 1/2 hour mark, test for doneness - the beef should be meltingly tender. Depending on your preference, cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, uncover, and gently stir. Taste for seasoning, adding additional Spicy Black Truffle BBQ Rub to your liking.
- Spoon onto a warm soft pile of mashed potatoes, garnish with parsley, toast your dining companions, and devour.