Oi Muchim (Korean Spicy Quick Pickled Cucumbers) | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Oi muchim is a classic Korean banchan, or side dish, and is the perfect summer accompaniment for backyard BBQs, summer picnics, and long lazy afternoon lunches. Easy and fast to make, with a spicy, savory taste & satisfying crunch that only gets better after a few days in the fridge, this is one dish that we're always making and running out of in summer. It's a great little host/hostess gift to bring to a BBQ or dinner party too, and only take about 10 minutes of actual prep time if you're in a rush.
- Yield: About 3 large Tupperware containers worth.
- Time: About 25 minutes, including 15 unattended.
- Storage Notes: Can be stored for up to 10 days refrigerated and covered.
- Difficulty: Easy.
- 20-25 Small Persian cucumbers
- 3/4ths Tin Kimchi Sea Salt
- 1 Tbs Crystallized Honey Cane Sugar
- 2 Tbs This Thing Of Ours Part 3: The Spicy Edition
- 1/2 Tbs Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 Tbs Everything Brooklyn Bagel Seasoning
- 2 Tbs Sesame oil
- 2 Spring onions
- Rinse cucumbers, trimming and discarding ends.
- Cut each in half lengthwise, then slice diagonally into 1/4" pieces, placing them in large mixing bowl, like this handy one from Duralex USA.
- Shake over Kimchi Sea Salt, toss to evenly coat, and allow to rest for 15 minutes - this will draw out a lot of the excess water in your cucumbers, making them extra crunchy and flavorful.
- Strain and discard liquid without rinsing, then add Crystallized Honey Cane Sugar, This Thing of Ours Part 3, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, Everything Brooklyn Bagel Seasoning, and sesame oil.
- Rinse spring onions, discarding the root base, then mince finely on a diagonal before adding to the bowl.
- Mix thoroughly but gently to fully incorporate all of the seasonings, then transfer to containers and pop in the fridge to cool.
- These can be eaten immediately or kept covered in the fridge for over a week, where the spicy, full flavor will continue to develop.
- Oi Muchim is a classic Korean banchan, or side dish, and is a perfect accompaniment at backyard BBQs, summer picnics, or late afternoon lunches all summer long.
If you'd like to get some of these sturdy stackable bowls, head over to Duralex, and take 20% off with code GV20.