Nachos | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Time Estimate: 30 Minutes.
Storage Notes: Best if enjoyed immediately.
No one really needs a recipe for nachos - what we need sometime is just a reminder that nachos exist, that they're excellent, and that with just a few tasteful additions in the seasoning department, you can take everyday nachos to the exceptional.
Here's our take on the classic - perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon lunch/snack, or game-day finger food while the Summer sun still lasts.
- 1 Lb ground beef
- 1 Tin Everything But The Guacamole Seasoning
- 1 Tin Everything But The Taco Seasoning
- 2 Large avocados
- A splash of vegetable oil
- 1 White onion
- 1/2 Red onion
- 1/4 Cup pickled jalapeños
- 1 Large tomato
- 1 Handful fresh cilantro
- 1/4th Cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 Cloves garlic
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 1/2 Cups shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- 1 Regular bag tortilla chips (about 7-8 Cups)
- 2 Spring onions
- 2 Limes
- Large Ceramic Tart Dish
- Large cast iron pan
- Preheat oven to 400F, and set a large cast iron pan on medium high, adding cooking oil as you do.
- Peel and mince white onion and garlic, adding onion when oil has come to temperature. Cook for 5 minutes, or until well browned, then add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add ground beef, mixing and pressing to form a sold layer on the pan, then sprinkle over a full tin of Everything But The Taco Seasoning. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-8 minutes, until the beef is well browned.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl.
- Dump chips into the ungreased ceramic dish, then top with cooked beef. Shred cheese as needed, then sprinkle over to generously coat.
- Pop in the oven, uncovered, and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and just starting to brown in some spots.
- While the nachos are baking, peel avocados, mashing flesh in a medium mixing bowl with heavy whipping cream and 1/2 of the tin of Everything But The Guacamole seasoning.
- Mince green onions, red onion, jalapeños, tomato, and cilantro, discarding stems, and slice limes into quarters.
- Remove nachos from oven, topping first with generous dollops of sour cream and guacamole, then sprinkle over red onion, green onion, jalapeños, tomato and cilantro.
- Squeeze over 1 of of the limes, slotting remaining slices into each corner, and generously dust with the remaining 1/2 tin of Everything But The Guacamole seasoning.
- Serve with cold beverages, squeeze over limes, and devour.
If you're like to try this easy, delicious summer recipe, check out Emile Henry's line of fine ceramic grilling cookware, and while you're at it, take 20% off with code 'GV20'.