Moules Marinières | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
- Yield: Serves 4.
- Time Estimate: 30 minutes.
- Storage Notes: Will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for 1 day.
- Difficulty: Easy.
This is one of our favorite recipes - super easy and quick to make, endlessly customizable, made for sharing, and it even involves wine - what's not to love?! The sauce/broth that results from this is exceptional, especially so considering the short cook time, so make sure you have plenty of bread on hand to mop up, and save excess for the the next day - we love using the left over broth to make super-richly flavored risotto, polenta, or rice the next day.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter.
- 2 oz extra virgin olive oil.
- 1.5 lbs green lipped mussels.
- 2 tbs Natural Smoked Sea Salt.
- 2 tbs Taste of Bordeaux.
- 2 tbs Taste of Provence.
- 1 tbs Crushed Red Pepper Flakes.
- 1.5 cups dry white wine (sav blanc is perfect and is lovely with the meal too!).
- 1 large bunch parsley.
- 1 large white onion.
- 10 garlic cloves.
- 4 medium sized tomatoes - multicolor heirlooms make this dish really pop if you can get your hands on some.
- 2 large or 4-5 smaller baguettes.
- Finely dice onion and garlic, rinse and rough chop tomatoes and parsley. Reserve.
- Bring a dutch oven (we love Emile Henry's) or heavy bottom pot up to medium high, and melt butter.
- Preheat oven to 385F.
- Add onions and garlic to butter, and sauté until onions are translucent - around 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add in crushed red pepper flakes, Taste of Provence, Taste of Bordeaux, and Smoked Sea Salt, along with tomatoes and white wine, and gently fold everything together.
- After cleaned mussels as needed, toss in, cover, and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Drizzle olive olive oil on baguettes, and sprinkle on some Taste of Bordeaux and Taste of Provence, and pop in the oven for around 5 minutes to warm up.
- Everything should come together at once - pour yourself and your guests some wine, rough chop the toasted baguettes, and have everyone dig in to the communal pot at the center of the table - bon appétit!