Make Ahead Roast Root Veg | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Yield: Serves 6 as a side.
Time Estimate: 1 Hour 10 minutes, including 50 minutes unattended.
Storage Notes: Will keep covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
This easy roast root veg dish is accented with an addictive maple flavor that brings all the ingredients together to make this a favorite dish every Thanksgiving. Make it the day ahead to have one less thing to worry about on the big day - all the flavors will have a night to get to know each other, and that final roasted maple caramelization the day of? Chef's kiss.
- 3-4 Large carrots
- 2-3 Parsnips
- 10-12 Pearl Onions
- 2 White onions
- 6 Cloves garlic
- 2 Large sweet potatoes
- 2 Large russet potatoes
- 6 Tbs Herbed Maple & Spice BBQ Seasoning
- 6 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil, and preheat oven to 350F.
- Peel parsnips, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, garlic, and pearl onions.
- Dice potatoes and sweet potatoes into cubes approximately 1"x1", and boil for 10 minutes, until softened, then strain.
- Discard ends and cut carrots into long strips, mince garlic, and leave peeled pearl onions whole. Slice white onions thinly into long strips.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients, drizzling over olive oil and Herbed Maple & Spice BBQ Seasoning.
- Toss with a large spoon to combine and incorporate, and transfer into a large ceramic baker.
- Cover tightly with foil, and roast for 40 minutes before removing.
- Allow at least one hour to cool, before transferring to the fridge - this is a great way to prep a dish the day before Thanksgiving.
- About an hour before service, remove from fridge, still covered, to allow some time to come up to temperature, and preheat oven to 450F.
- Roast, still covered for 10 minutes, then remove foil and roast a further 5-10, until the top begins to brown and the onions start to caramelize.
- Garnish with a finishing dusting of Herbed Maple & Spice BBQ Seasoning, serve alongside your other Thanksgiving favorites, and devour.