Make Ahead Roast Root Veg | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Yield: Serves 6 as a side.
Time Estimate: 1 Hour 10 minutes, including 50 minutes unattended.
Storage Notes: Will keep covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
This easy roast root veg dish is accented with an addictive maple flavor that brings all the ingredients together to make this a favorite dish every Thanksgiving. Make it the day ahead to have one less thing to worry about on the big day - all the flavors will have a night to get to know each other, and that final roasted maple caramelization the day of? Chef's kiss.
- 3-4 Large carrots
- 2-3 Parsnips
- 10-12 Pearl Onions
- 2 White onions
- 6 Cloves garlic
- 2 Large sweet potatoes
- 2 Large russet potatoes
- 6 Tbs Herbed Maple & Spice BBQ Seasoning
- 6 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Special Equipment Required: Ceramic Baker
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil, and preheat oven to 350F.
- Peel parsnips, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, garlic, and pearl onions.
- Dice potatoes and sweet potatoes into cubes approximately 1"x1", and boil for 10 minutes, until softened, then strain.
- Discard ends and cut carrots into long strips, mince garlic, and leave peeled pearl onions whole. Slice white onions thinly into long strips.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients, drizzling over olive oil and Herbed Maple & Spice BBQ Seasoning.
- Toss with a large spoon to combine and incorporate, and transfer into a large ceramic baker, like this handsome one from Emile Henry.
- Cover tightly with foil, and roast for 40 minutes before removing.
- Allow at least one hour to cool, before transferring to the fridge - this is a great way to prep a dish the day before Thanksgiving.
- About an hour before service, remove from fridge, still covered, to allow some time to come up to temperature, and preheat oven to 450F.
- Roast, still covered for 10 minutes, then remove foil and roast a further 5-10, until the top begins to brown and the onions start to caramelize.
- Garnish with a finishing dusting of Herbed Maple & Spice BBQ Seasoning, serve alongside your other Thanksgiving favorites, and devour.
If you'd like to check out this handsome ceramic baker, head over to Emile Henry, and while you're at it, take 20% off with code 'GV20'.