Lobster Newburg Rolls | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Yield: Serves 4.
Time Estimate: 45 Minutes.
Storage Notes:Best if enjoyed immediately.
Lobster rolls are one of our cherished summer traditions, and this family recipe - combining the decadent richness of Lobster Newburg with the messy, uncomplicated excellence of a lobster roll - is our favorite way to indulge.
- 2 1.5ish Lb American lobsters
- 1/4th Cup unsalted butter
- 1 Small shallot
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1 Cup cream
- 4 Egg yolks
- 2 1/2 Tbs Great Lakes Fish Fry Seasoning
- 1 1/2 Tbs Thing Thing of Ours Seasoning
- 2 Green onions
- 1 Small bunch parsley
- A good spray of duck fat
- 4 sandwich rolls or hot dog buns.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil, and cover with 2 steamer baskets. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Ikejime lobster, slicing down and forward with the point of a chef's knife, about 1" behind the eyes.
- Arrange 1 lobster in each steamer basket, and cook for 12 minutes.
- Remove, and allow to cool.
- Slice the sides off of the rolls/buns, and open up, spraying inside and out with duck fat. Lightly toast on an oven tray for about 8 minutes, then reserve until needed.
- Peel and finely mince shallot, green onions, and parsley.
- In a medium sauce pot on medium heat, render butter, then add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and whisk in the juice of 1/2 a lemon and 1/3 Cup of cold distilled water.
- While this is cooking, whisk together cream, egg yolks, and both Great Lakes Fish Fry and This Thing of Ours in a large mixing bowl.
- Add butter mix, 1 Tbs at a time, whisking quickly as you do so, until fully incorporated.
- Return sauce to the sauce pot, keeping warm on the lowest heat setting, and whisking occasionally.
- Remove lobster meat from tail, claws, and legs, rough chopping tail and leaving claws as intact as possible.
- Remove Newburg sauce from heat, and stir in lobster meat and and half of the minced parsley and green onions, stirring to coat.
- Spoon a generous amount of lobster and Newburg sauce into rolls, garnishing with parsley, green onions, and a final dusting of Great Lakes Fish Fry Seasoning.
- Serve with Cape Cod chips and a cold beverage of your choosing, and devour.