Giant, Triple Stuffed Homemade Oreo® Cookies | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
- Yield: 8-10 Giant Oreos®.
- Time Estimate: About 2 hours, including 75 minutes unattended.
- Storage Notes: Will keep for up to 5 days in a sealed container. But that's probably not going to be happening.
- Difficulty: Easy.
All credit for this goes to Stella Parks and her amazing book, Bravetart. We tweaked her recipe just a bit - swapping out difficult-to-source Dutch-process cocoa for unsweetened cocoa powder, replacing most of the plain sugar with equal parts Iced Maple Latte Cane Sugar and Smoky Dark Chocolate Cane Sugar, and making the cookies around double the size and with triple the stuffing of regular Oreos®. These cookies are everything we love about Oreos®, only more so - more stuffing, more cookie, more flavor, more crunch - more.
For the Cookies
- 1 Stick Unsalted butter
- 1 1/4ths Cups Flour
- 4 Tbs Iced Maple Latte Cane Sugar
- 4 Tbs Smoky Dark Chocolate Cane Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 Tsp Probiotic Ocean Salt
- 3 Tbs Light corn syrup
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
For the Stuffing
- 1 1/2 Sticks Unsalted butter
- 1/8th Tsp Probiotic Ocean Salt
- 1 Cup Powdered sugar
- 8 Tbs Vanilla Bean Cane Sugar
- In a stand mixer on medium, mix together cubed butter, Iced Maple Latte Cane Sugar, Smoky Dark Chocolate Cane Sugar, baking soda, Probiotic Ocean Salt, and light corn syrup.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and flour.
- Reduce mixer speed to low, then slowly pour in flour mixture.
- Mix for 2-3 minutes - the dough will seem overly dry and stiff, but this is the consistency that you're going for.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Dust your work surface with cocoa powder, and form half of the dough into a ball, before rolling out to a roughly 1/8" thickness.
- Use cookie stamps (we're partial to Nordic Ware's vintage stamps), ideally around 3" in diameter, to punch out cookies, scraping together and re-rolling left-over dough as you do, and transferring them to baking tray covered with wax paper.
- The cookies can be placed pretty snugly together - they won't change their shape or size much during cooking.
- Repeat with remaining half of dough.
- Pop in the oven for 15 minutes, then remove and allow to cool on the tray for 30 minutes.
- To make the stuffing, heat butter on medium low heat in a large saucepan for 10 minutes, stirring regularly to avoid burning, until it just begins to brown.
- Wipe out the stand mixer, reattach the paddle, and pour in butter though a strainer.
- Sprinkle in Probiotic Ocean Salt and Vanilla Bean Cane Sugar, and mix on medium for around 5 minutes until creamy, pausing to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Pour stuffing mixture into a pasty bag with a plain tip, just use a spoon straight from the mixer, and evenly distribute stuffing among half of cookies, before gently crowning with the second cookie. Press down gently to evenly spread out stuffing, being careful not to push down too hard, squeezing out the filling.
- Allow another 30 minutes for the stuffing to set. Serve with a tall glass of milk, and devour.