Everything Bagel Chicken Sausage Rolls | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
- Yield: Around 35 mini rolls.
- Time Estimate: 1 hour, including 20 minutes unattended.
- Storage Notes: These can be frozen for up to 3 months, then reheated in the oven.
- Difficulty: Easy.
Sausage rolls are a long-time U.K. classic, and we think it's high time the U.S. got in on some of this goodness. Flaky, buttery puff pastry wrapped around juicy sausage - what's not to like?
- 4 Lbs ground chicken (we used both breasts & deboned thighs)
- 1 Lb pork fat
- 2 Tins All Season Truffle Rub
- 1 Large red onion
- 8-9 Cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbs cooking oil
- 1 Tin Taste of Bordeaux
- 1 Tin Taste of Provence
- 6 Eggs
- 1 Tin Everything Brooklyn Bagel Seasoning
- 2 Boxes puff pastry (4 sheets, around 1.2 Lb total)
- A bit of flour for dusting
- Rough chop chicken and pork fat, deboning if necessary, and place the meat grinder (if you're using one) in the freezer for at least 1 hour before grinding.
- 30 minutes before grinding, put chopped chicken & pork in the freezer to cool further.
- Peel and mince garlic and onion, and sautée along with oil for around 10 minutes, then reserve.
- Grind meat, then mix in 4 beaten eggs, All Season Truffle Rub, Taste of Bordeaux, Taste of Provence, and reserved onion and garlic. Combine thoroughly and make sure seasonings are fully and evenly distributed.
- Lightly dust your work surface, and lay out pasty sheets one at a time. Use a rolling pin to thin and extend lengthwise - you're looking to add another 15-20% in length.
- Form a column of sausage mix down the center of the pastry, from end to end and around 1 1/2" high, with 1 1/2" inches of uncovered pasty on either side.
- Beat 2 eggs in a shallow bowl, and paint wash on exposed pastry. Fold one half over, paint with wash, and fold the other side over, again washing. Don't worry about sealing firmly: the generous amount of sausage filling will split open the top of the pastry as it bakes.
- Preheat oven to 400F, and lightly grease 2 large baking trays.
- Repeat process with remaining sausage mix and pastry.
- Give all the rolls a final paint with the egg wash, then generously sprinkle with Everything Brooklyn Bagel Seasoning.
- Slice rolls into 2"ish sections, and arrange on baking trays.
- Pop in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until well browned.
- Remove and rest on cooling racks for 10 minutes.
- Serve with a generous dollop of ketchup or BBQ sauce, and devour.
- P.S. These keep very well frozen, and are a great last minute appetizer/snack to bring out. Just freeze the batch in small baggies with 8-10 rolls a piece, and when you're in a pinch, simply reheat in the oven for 10-15 minutes.