Easy Montreal-Style Everything Bagels | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Yield: 6 perfect, Montreal-style bagels.
Time Estimate: 90 Minutes, including 80 unattended.
Storage Notes: Best if enjoyed the same day.
Not that well know here in the US, Montreal-style bagels are denser, smaller, a little sweeter, and in our opinion (well, here comes the hate mail) far superior to big, fluffy, NY-style bagel so much more prevalent here in the US.
These deliciously dense bagels are infinitely customizable, and we love them all day long: with a bit of butter or cream cheese for breakfast, made into a sandwich at lunch, or as a salad accent or mop-up for saucy meals at dinnertime.
- 2 tsp Active dry yeast
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 3 tsp Crystallized Honey Cane Sugar
- 1 2/3rds Cup bread flour
- 1 tsp Crystallized Honey Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- For garnish: 1/2 tin each of Everything But The Bagel Seasoning and Everything But The Garlic Bread Seasoning
- 1-2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Special Equipment Required: Silicone bagel molds
- In a cup, whisk together 1/2 Cup room temperature water, active dry yeast, and 1 tsp Crystallized Honey Cane Sugar. Allow 5 minutes to for the yeast to start its magic - you should start seeing some small bubbles forming at the surface.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, remaining Crystallized Honey Cane Sugar, and Crystallized Honey Sea Salt, mixing together quickly with a fork.
- Pour in leavening liquid and butter, and begin kneading, doing so for about 5 minutes.
- Form into a ball, drizzle a bit of olive oil on and smear to coat, then cover with a damp cloth and allow to stand for 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 395F, and bring large pot of water up to a rolling boil.
- Divide dough into 6 sections, the roll out into balls.
- Form into discs, using your thumb to create first an indent, then a hole, in the middle.
- Carefully work discs onto the silicone bagel molds, like these handy ones from Lékue, one at a time.
- Cover molds with the damp cloth again, and allow a further 20 minutes for them to rest.
- Pour baking soda into the boiling water, stirring briefly to distribute.
- Working one at a time, lower molds into the boiling water for about 10 seconds, then remove and allow to drain.
- Place 6 drained molds on a baking tray, and dust 3 generously with Everything But The Brooklyn Bagel Seasoning, and the other 3 with Everything But The Garlic Bread Seasoning.
- Pop the tray in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Rotate, cooking for another 5-10 minutes, or until tops are well browned but before any of the Bagel or Garlic Bread seasoning begins to burn.
- Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then slide off the silicone molds.
- Serve 'em as you like 'em! We love these straight out of the oven, served simply with couple big dollops of cream cheese.