Classic Crème Brûlée | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
If you don't know, trust us: saying 'I made some crème brûlée for dessert tonight' will make your significant other happy. Not only that, but you'll have crème brûlée too. This straightforward, make-ahead recipe will make everyone happy, and with just a few ingredients you probably already have in your pantry, it's a breeze to put together, with Chipotle Cane Sugar adding a bit of bite to cut the sweetness and our Caramel Crème Brûlée topping as the perfect crackling crust.
- Yield: Serves 2
- Time: About 20 minutes attended + and overnight in the fridge
- Storage Notes: Will keep for 3 days covered in the fridge
- Difficulty: Easy
- 6 egg yolks
- 4 Tbs Chipotle Cane Sugar
- 4 Tbs Caramel Crème Brûlée Cane Sugar
- 3 Tbs Powdered Sugar
- 3/4 Cup heavy whipping cream
- Bring a medium-sized saucepan up to medium heat, and whisk together Chipotle Cane Sugar, powdered sugar, and cream. Cook, stirring as you do, until fully incorporated - around 5 minutes.
- Separately, bring a pot of water to boil, and preheat oven to 150F.
- Whisk egg yolks, then slowly, just a bit at a time, pour yolks into cream/sugar mix. Stir vigorously as you do, pouring all the yolks in, and remove from heat.
- Place 2 ramekins in a high walled baking dish or tray, and pour boiling water around them to about halfway up.
- Pour crème brûlée mixture into the ramekins, and pop in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove, and allow to cool uncovered for 30 minutes, before covering in saran and popping in the fridge overnight.
- When readying to serve, remove from the fridge, and dust generously with Caramel Crème Brûlée Cane Sugar.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes or use a food-safe torch to caramelize the sugar. Allow to cool and harden - another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve, crack the sugar crust, and devour.