Ultimate Carrot Cake | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Yield: One 11" x 8" frosted cake.
Time Estimate: 5 Hours, including 3 hours unattended.
Storage Notes: Can be kept, covered and refrigerated, for up to 3 days.
Whenever we make this Carrot Cake, we're reminded of just how good it is, animatedly pointing and excitedly mumble-yelling 'hruhmphush! mruphm um moomishg!' (so good! why don't we make this more!?) our mouths chock full of rich, moist cake and overloaded with decadent buttercream frosting. Make this and we promise the same: this one is quite a treat.
IngredientsFor The Cake
- 2 Cups flour
- 2 Cups grated carrots (6-10 medium to large carrots)
- 2 Full tins Apple Pie Cane Sugar
- 1 Tsp Probiotic Ocean Salt
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Tsp baking soda
- 2 Tsp baking powder
- 1 Small tin (8oz) crushed pineapple
- 1/2 Cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 Cup chopped pecans
- 2 Full tins California Strawberry Cane Sugar
- 1 Cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 & 1/2 Sticks (1 1/2 cup) butter
For The Butter Cream Frosting and Carrot Garnish
- 5 Cups icing sugar
- 2 Full Tins Vanilla Bean Cane Sugar
- 2 Packs (16 oz) cream cheese
- 1/2 Cup melted butter
- 2 Tbs Zesty Orange Cane Sugar
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 2 Large carrots
- A couple sprigs of parsley
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift in flour, and whisk in baking powder, baking soda, and Probiotic Ocean Salt.
- Cube butter, and microwave twice for 30 seconds to melt.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream California Strawberry Cane Sugar, Apple Pie Cane Sugar, packed brown sugar, and eggs, then add melted butter.
- Whisking as you do, gradually pour in dry ingredients, around 1/3rd at a time, stirring until just combined.
- Peel carrots, then finely grate, and add, along with walnuts and pecans.
- Strain crushed pineapple, and add.
- Fold everything together until combined, then pour into a lightly greased ceramic baker, like this handsome one from Emile Henry.
- Smooth & evenly distribute with your spatula, and pop in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Use the toothpick test to check for doneness, reducing heat to 300F and cooking for longer as needed, checking in every 4-5 minutes until the toothpick comes out clean and dry.
- Remove from oven and allow for cool for about 90 minutes.
- To make your buttercream frosting, add Vanilla Bean Cane Sugar and powdered sugar to a large bowl.
- Microwave butter for 20-30 seconds to melt, and add, along with room temperature cream cheese.
- Use a hand mixer to thoroughly combine, then smooth a generous amount over the cake, creating an even layer as you do.
- Loosely tent with aluminium foil, and pop in the fridge for an hour.
- To make your garnish, rinse and pat dry parsley, and snip off and reserve around 20 leaves, discarding stems, and dusting with a bit of Zesty Orange Cane Sugar.
- Slice carrots into thin, roughly 1" x 1/2" strips, then further cut into triangles.
- Bring a small sauté pan to high heat, and add vegetable oil.
- Sear carrot triangles, tossing constantly, for about a minute, then remove with a spider or slotted spoon, and sprinkle with Zesty Orange Cane Sugar.
- Remove cake from the fridge, and decorate with carrots and parsley.
- Serve at room or fridge temperature, and devour.