Brown Butter Lobster Tail w/ Mushroom Fettuccine | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
- Yield: Serves 2.
- Time: About 1 hour.
- Storage Notes: Enjoy that evening.
- Difficulty: Easy.
Lobster is one the best proteins to sous vide, seeing as it doesn't need a sear after coming out of the bath. Our local super was doing a deal on them (hey, they're no toilet paper!), and we snagged a big frozen tail. This is a pretty straight-forward recipe but one that really delivers on flavor and can be dressed up or down depending on that night's chosen ratio of hunger vs. fancy presentation.
- 1 extra large lobster tail
- 4 bunches dried fettuccine
- 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tbs Perfect Protein Seasoning
- 2 Tbs Italian Black Winter Truffle Sea Salt
- 2.5 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 large handful of button mushrooms
- Prepare a sous vide bath at 133F.
- Vacuum seal lobster tail and 1 stick of butter in a bag and pop in, setting a time for 1 hour.
- Heat a small/medium saucepan to medium low, and add a stick of butter and the Truffle Sea Salt. Cook, swirling and stirring gently, for about 25 minutes. At about the 10 minute mark it will foam, then settle into a nice rich brown color. Remove and reserve.
- Rinse, pat dry, and slice mushrooms as thinly as you can.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil.
- Heat a high walled cast iron pan to medium high, adding in butter, mushrooms, and Prime Protein Seasoning. Cook down and brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add in heavy whipping cream, and using a whisk, stir to combine well. Allow to foam up, then reduce to medium, stirring with a wooden spoon to avoid any bits sticking to the bottom, and reduce by half.
- Remove lobster tail from its batch, and pour everything into a large bowl. Remove tail shell, slice in half, and return to bowl.
- Add fettuccine to boiling water, and cook until just under al dente, around 6 minutes.
- Spoon a bit of the starchy pasta water into the mushroom cream sauce, and strain pasta, then add to sauce.
- To plate, place down lobster tails, spooning over a generous amount of the Truffled butter. Add as much creamy pasta as you'd like, serve, and devour.