BBQ Moules Marinière | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Yield: Serves 4-6 as a light meal or sharable appetizer.
Time Estimate: About 20 minutes, including 15 unattended.
Storage Notes: Best if enjoyed immediately.
Moules marinières (French salior-style mussels) are even more delicious, and easier, when roasted over open flames. This summer classic couldn't be simpler, and the super-sharable result is just as fun to eat as it is tasty, the perfect light bite for a long lazy summer afternoon or evening.
- About 4 Lbs fresh (or thawed) mussels (NZ Green-lipped are our favorites!)
- 1 Bulb garlic
- 1 White onion
- 1/3 Cup low sodium fish or chicken stock
- 1 1/3 Cups dry white wine (sauvignon blanc is perfect here)
- 1/2 Tin Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Stick unsalted butter
- 1 Tin French Onion Seasoning
- A handful of parsley for garnish, and bread for dipping
- Give your mussels a good scrub, removing and discarding the 'beard', then rinse until water runs clean in a large bowl.
- Peel and mince onion, peel and finely mince garlic, and add to a medium mixing bowl. Pour in Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, French Onion Seasoning, then add stock and white wine, whisking vigorously to combine.
- Bring your grill up to medium heat, and place on a large grill pan, like this ceramic oval one from Emile Henry.
- Once the grill pan has come up to heat, pour wine mixture over mussels, tossing to coat.
- Carefully transfer the mussels to the hot grill pan, reserving about 1/3 of the liquid, and top with butter.
- Close grill and roast for 5 minutes, then stir around mussels and pour over remaining wine sauce.
- Continue cooking for a further 5-10 minutes, until shells have opened and mussels are firm but still plump, and not rubbery or dried out.
- Transfer to a large cutting board or similar so you don't burn your table, and rough chop parsley before garnishing.
- Give the whole beautiful mess a good sprinkle with a bit more French Onion Seasoning and another dash of Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, and then dig in with your fingers. Don't forget to have some crusty bread on hand to mop up all the wonderful jus when you finish!