BBQ Bacon Wrapped Cheeseburger Missile | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Time Estimate: 1 hour, including 40 minutes unattended.
Storage Notes: Best if enjoyed immediately.
Summer is a time for celebrating many things. One is that enough time has passed since your New Years resolution that no-one's going to hassle you about making a lattice-wrapped double bacon cheeseburger missile. And then drizzling that missile all over with a butter-based BBQ sauce.
- 1 1/2 Lbs bacon
- 1 Lb ground beef (we like a 70/30 ratio)
- 8 Slices American cheese
- 1 Cup spinach
- 1 Egg
- 1 Full tin Ultimate Gourmet BBQ Rub
- 1/2 Cup panko
- 1 Tbs Everything But The Brooklyn Bagel Seasoning
- 1 Stick unsalted butter
- 4 Tbs BBQ sauce
- Rinse and pat dry spinach, and preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, Ultimate Gourmet BBQ Rub, panko, and egg. Combine until well mixed.
- Line a small baking tray with foil, extending lengthwise by an additional foot or so.
- Form a rectangle with the burger mix in the center of the backing tray, about 1" high, and leaving unfilled space on either side of the burger rectangle.
- Top with spinach, then cheese slices.
- Working carefully, roll the mix into a tube, taking care to not push the mix out the sides. Pull back the foil as you roll.
- Roll until complete, then reserve, without foil.
- Reline baking sheet with foil, again giving yourself an extra foot to complete the roll.
- Make a bacon lattice: lay one strip left to right, then top at the corner with another going up to down. Repeat with all the strips going left to right, then all the strips goings top to bottom, folding back alternating strips as you do so.
- When the lattice is completed, place burger roll about 2" away from the edge of the lattice, top to bottom.
- Roll as you did the first time, taking care to keep constant but gentle pressure on the roll.
- Wrap again in foil, taking care to ensure the sides are fully enclosed.
- Pop in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and carefully undress foil.
- Dust with Everything But The Brooklyn Bagel Seasoning, and return to oven, increasing temperature to 500F as you do so.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the bacon on the top is almost beginning to burn. Start watching at 20 minutes, and remove when needed.
- Remove from oven, and place on a drying rack to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add softened butter and BBQ sauce, and microwave for 20 seconds. Remove, stir, and microwave again for 20 more seconds.
- Slice the missile as you would a sushi roll, and drizzle over with BBQ butter sauce.
- Gather the group, distribute forks and cold beers, and devour.