Bang Bang Ribeye Fried Rice | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Yield: Serves 4.
Time Estimate: 2 Hours, including 1 1/2 hours unattended.
Storage Notes: Best if enjoyed immediately.
It's in the name, but Bang Bang Ribeye Fried Rice is even more delicious than it sounds. Transform yesterdays leftover rice into the ultimate flavor vehicle for big, beautiful umami flavors: seared steak, runny yolk eggs, and that pinky poppin' flavor running throughout everything.
The breakfast, lunch, and dinner of champions.
- 2 Ribeye steaks
- 2 Cups yesterdays rice
- 4 Eggs
- 8 Tbs Bang Bang Flavor Gang BBQ Seasoning
- 4 Tbs Pinky Poppin' Umami BBQ Seasoning
- 5 Green onions
- 1 1/2" finger of ginger
- 2 Tbs Lemongrass puree, or 1 stick fresh lemongrass
- 4 Tbs kimchi, and another 2-3 Tbs kimchi liquor
- 2 Tbs low sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbs generic cooking oil
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1 Tbs sesame seed oil
- 1 Strip nori for garnish
- Trim ribeyes of any excess fat, rub generously all over with olive oil and 4 Tbs Pinky Poppin' Umami BBQ Seasoning and 4 Tbs Bang Bang Flavor Gang Seasoning.
- Vacuum seal and pop in a water bath at 129F for 1 1/2 hours.
- Prep the fried rice ingredients: peel and finely mince ginger, dice kimchi and reserve liquor, and after slicing off the root of the green onions, cut in half, separating the green from the white.
- Cut the green stem "fancy", slicing thinly a 45 degree angle, and reserve. Thinly slice the white.
- Cut a 1/2 sheet of nori into thin strips, and reserve.
- Remove steaks from their bath, pat dry, and bring a cast iron pan up to a ripping high heat. Add 1 Tbs cooking oil and then steaks, cooking for 1 minute before flipping, adding unsalted butter, and cooking for another minute, basting with the butter as you do.
- Remove from heat, tent with foil, and reserve.
- Bring a wok up to high heat, and add 2 Tbs cooking oil, rolling it around to coat the sides.
- Add the green onion whites, ginger, and lemongrass, stirring and shaking the wok until they begin to brown.
- Add in kimchi and sesame seed oil, cooking and stirring for a further minute.
- Pour in yesterdays rice, along with kimchi liquor and soy sauce.
- Shake over 2 Tbs Bang Bang Flavor Gang BBQ Seasoning and 1 Tbs Pinky Poppin' Umami, stirring, tossing, and breaking up the rice as you do.
- Bring a medium non stick pan up to low heat, and crack in 4 eggs.
- Cook rice, shaking and stirring constantly, on medium high for about 4 minutes, or until fully incorporated and just beginning to stick. Taste for flavor, adding more Bang Bang Flavor Gang as desired, and remove from heat.
- Thinly slice reserved ribeyes against the grain.
- To plate, divide fried rice into 4 portions, topping each with 1 of the sunny side up eggs.
- Lay down ribeye strips, and sprinkle over nori strips and fancy cut green onions.
- Dust plates with Bang Bang Flavor Gang, serve with some ice cold beverages to wash it all down with, and devour.