Baked Gingerbread Applesauce Donuts | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Yield: 12 Donuts.
Time Estimate: 45 Minutes, including 25 unattended.
Storage Notes: Best if enjoyed the same day, will keep covered for up to 2 days.
As the weather cools and days get shorter, it's the perfect time to whip up some festive gingerbread donuts. Baked, not fried, to a rich amber color, these are the perfect addition to a mug of hot coco or your morning coffee.
- 2 Cups cake flour
- 1/2 Cup applesauce
- 2 Eggs
- 3 1/2 Tins Gingerbread Cane Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbs California Sea Salt
- 2 Tsp baking powder
- 3/4 Cup whole milk
- 1/2 Tbs white vinegar
- 2 Tbs melted butter
- Optional: 1/2 Cup powdered sugar and 1 Tbs whole milk for glaze
- Special equipment required: non stick donut pan
- Preheat oven to 375F, and lightly flour and shake out donut pan.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, California Sea Salt, and Gingerbread Cane Sugar.
- In a glass, whisk together milk and vinegar, then pour over dry ingredients, along with melted butter and both eggs.
- Fold until just combined.
- Either using a spoon or via a filled pastry bag, fill bottom 1/2 of the donut indents, then spoon over about 1/2 Tbs of applesauce over each.
- Bake for 12 minutes, carefully dump out donuts onto a wire rack to cool, dusting with remaining Gingerbread Cane Sugar as you do.
- Repeat for the second batch.
- Make glaze and decorate if you prefer, or just dunk one straight away into a piping hot coco, and devour.