Glazed Spiral Ham | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
Say goodbye to overly salty ham of mysterious origin and hello to a show stopper all of your own making. With only 30 minutes of actual prep work, you can make an incredibly succulent glazed ham, perfect for Christmas dinner year round or as a special meal for a big group.
- 1 8-10 Lb bone in pork shoulder
- 1 1/2 Cups brown sugar
- 1 Tin French Onion Seasoning
- 1 Tin Hickory Smoked Pork Seasoning
- 2 Double XL ziplock bags
- Bring a sous vide bath up to 155F.
- Rub 1 cup of the brown sugar all over the pork, followed by the French Onion Seasoning and Hickory Smoked Pork Seasoning, distributing as evenly as you can.
- Place seasoned pork shoulder into a ziplock bag, using the displacement method to force all of the air out. Repeat in a second bag - the long cook time, heat, and weight of the pork all combine to make breakage a possibility, and you definitely don't want that.
- Carefully place pork in the bath, cover, and set timer for 24 hours.
- At the 23 hour mark, get everything else ready, and preheat oven to 450F.
- Carefully remove your pork from its bath. Suspend over a large bowl, and poke a hole in the bottom of the bags, allowing all of the juices to drain out.
- Transfer pork to a large roasting dish, like this handsome ceramic number from Emile Henry.
- Score pork, with the scores/diamonds as close together as you can: the smaller the diamonds the more the fat will render, giving you both beautifully juicy meat and a gorgeous presentation. Take care not to cut too deep and slice into the flesh.
- Transfer juices to a large saucepan and bring to a boil, before reducing to a low heat, whisking in a half cup of brown sugar as you do.
- Pop the pork in the oven, and baste with glaze every 5 minutes or so.
- After 20-30 minutes and 4-6 glazes, the scored diamonds should be well browned but not burned, and just starting to crisp on the surrounds.
- Remove, tent with tin foil, and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Display your prize, slice table-side, and devour.
If you'd like to get your hands on this handsome oval roasting dish, use code GV20 for 20% off at https://www.emilehenryusa.com/