Air Fried Chicken a la Cheetos & Doritos | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
- Yield: 10 Crispy & juicy drumsticks.
- Time Estimate: 30 Minutes + 2 overnights.
- Storage Notes: These will be gone in minutes.
- Difficulty: Easy.
Some things we love: crispy chicken, juicy chicken, Doritos, Cheetos. Something we don't love: the mess and clean up after deep-frying.
We've got you covered: by marinating, then slow cooking your chicken, cooling, rolling in roasted Cheeto & Dorito dust and air frying, you really can have your crispy, juicy chicken, and eat it too. Here's how:
- 10-12 Chicken drumsticks
- 3 Cups whole milk
- 6 Tbs white vinegar
- 1 Snack-sized bag of Doritos
- 1 Snack-sized back of Cheetos
- 5 Tbs Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbs All Natural Cool Ranch Seasoning
- 2 Tbs Jalapeño Sea Salt
- 2 Tbs All Day Every Day Seasoning
- 2 Tbs Spicy Smoked Sea Salt
- 3 Tbs Everything But The Fried Chicken Seasoning
- 3-4 Green onions
- In mixing bowl, whisk together Jalapeño Sea Salt, All Day Every Day Seasoning, and Spicy Smoked Sea Salt with 2 Cups of milk and 4 Tbs of vinegar.
- Strip drumsticks of skin and any excess fat, then place in a large ziplock bag, covering with the marinade.
- Rest in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, remove chicken from the fridge, and preheat oven to 300F.
- Strain chicken, and place on a foil-lined baking tray, rubbing all over with a generous coating of Everything But The Fried Chicken Seasoning. Cover the tray with foil to keep the moisture in, and cook for 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour contents of Cheetos and Doritos into a suitably sized ziplock bag, then smash with a rolling pin or similar. Pour onto a baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Allow chicken and roasted Dorito/Cheeto mix to cool, then transfer each to new ziplock bags. Refrigerate chicken overnight.
- When ready, remove chicken from the fridge, and prepare a wash bowl of 1 cup milk mixed with 2 Tbs of vinegar, and a dredge bowl of Cheeto/Dorito mix.
- Preheat air fryer to 400F, and your oven to its lowest setting.
- Working in batches, dunk chicken in milk, then dredge, then place in air fryer, cooking for 15 minutes, before transferring to a warm oven, and repeating.
- While air frying, prepare your dip: rinse and mince green onions, and mix in with Greek yogurt and All Natural Cool Ranch.
- Serve, and devour.