Spicy Red Cayenne Apples Recipe
Yield: 4 servings
Time Estimate: 5 minute
Storage Notes: serve immediately, keeps for several hours if refrigerated
Appetizers and snacks at cocktail hour are usually heavy on carbs and fats - offer your guests a refreshing change with tart, tangy, crisp, spicy apple slices dusted with Red Cayenne Salt. The heat and salt bring out the best of the apple, and treating it with a dash of lime juice prevents browning while also cutting the spiciness.
- 2 or 3 large green apples (Granny Smith is our favorite)
- 2 limes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Red Cayenne Salt
- Slice limes into small wedges.
- Slice apples lengthwise into four large pieces, and discard cores. Thinly cut pieces into slices around 1/8th of an inch.
- Arrange slices on serving plate and squeeze on the lime juice - this will slow the natural discoloration.
- Sprinkle with Red Cayenne Salt and serve. If you're preparing in advance, cover with saran warp and refrigerate - they'll keep their color for a few hours if properly treated with lime juice, and this snack is delicious cold.