Hearty Winter Chick Pea Curry Recipe
Yield: 4 to 5 portions;
Time Estimate: 35 minutes overall, including 5 minutes of preparation;
Storage Notes: serve immediately, will keep for 2 to 3 days in the fridge;
This is one of our favorites - a quick, hearty curry that's great as a side dish, paired with rice, or used as a base for grilled chicken or white fish. Serving it piping hot is key - this is one of those dishes that will warm you to the core after a day in the cold, and for a vegetarian dish it's surprising rich and certainly filling - a great go-to for meatless Monday.
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 Pats butter
- 1 Cup vegetable stock (we prefer the low-sodium variety)
- 1 Clove garlic
- 2 One LB cans chick peas
- 1 Can coconut milk (usually around 12 - 16 oz)
- 6 Tablespoons Taste of India
- 2 Tablespoons Red Cayenne Sea Salt
- Rinse and drain chick peas, peel and finely dice garlic and onions.
- Bring a medium to large skillet to medium heat, adding vegetable oil. Add onions and Red Cayenne Sea Salt (adding salt early will help break down the onion) and cook down for around 10 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, Taste of India, butter, and garlic, combining well.
- Pour in coconut milk and drained chick peas, and bring up to high heat - you want it to just get up to a boil. Stir well to make sure everything is evenly distributed.
- Reduce heat to medium, and allow all the flavors to get to know each other for around 10 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve in a large bowl - we like to serve this family-style and allow people to add it as a side, on their rice, or as a compliment to their protein of choice.
- Bonus points: garnish with a little cilantro or a sprig of mint to give it an extra pop. And remember that some like it hot - keep the Red Cayenne Sea Salt on hand for those who want a bolder bite.