From Scratch 'This Thing Of Ours' Pizza
Yield: 3-4 10" Pies
Time Estimate: 3 hours, including 1 hour inactive.
Storage Notes: Will keep for 5 days if kept in a sealed container in a cool place.
Difficulty: Medium High.
We've been having a blast playing around with This Thing Of Ours Seasoning, and as the cold weather has been keeping us away from the BBQ, we've been making (and devouring) pizzas with this extra-garlicy seasoning like there's no tomorrow. This recipe is somewhat involved as we make our own dough - by all means use store-bought if you're short on time. But if you can, we promise that the chew and snap is worth it. Let's get cooking so we can get eating!
- 3 1/2 Cups "00" flour
- 1 Cup water
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tsp honey
- 1 1/2 Tsp wheat gluten
- 1 Tsp active dry yeast
- 2 Tsp California Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 Tsp This Thing of Ours Seasoning
- 1 Jar marinara sauce (or go full on and make your own!)
- 8 Oz fresh buffalo mozzarella
- 8 Oz grated, low moisture mozzarella
- A handful of fresh basil for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine flour, yeast, honey, California Sea Salt, and gluten. Use a stand-mixer to combine well if you have, if not, knead well to combine - this will take around 10 minutes. If using a stand-mixer, 5 minutes will do.
- Let rest for around 10-15 minutes, then repeat kneading for the same time.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface, and split dough into 3 or four sections. Roll out the dough into balls, drizzle on a bit of olive oil, and wrap each up in saran wrap - you want these to rest at room temperature for 1 hour. Boom - your fresh dough is ready to go!
- Preheat your oven to as high as it will go - the higher the better. If you have a pizza stone, or steel, or similar, all the better. If not, a baking tray will do.
- Lightly dust a surface with flour. Working one dough ball at a time, roll out, and stretch with both a rolling pin and your fingers. You want to get to around 10" - don't worry too much if it's not a perfect circle. You're making this from scratch - some imperfections only make it all the better.
- Place dough on a pizza peel with just a tiny dusting of flour - too much and it'll burn. Just a pinch here is what you're after.
- Spoon on marinara sauce, working from the inside to the outside in a circular motion. We go pretty light on the sauce, but use your judgement.
- Sprinkle on grated mozzarella, arrange a couple slices of fresh mozzarella, and season well with This Thing of Ours Seasoning.
- Use a firm but quick jerking motion to slide your pie into the super-hot oven. These won't take long, and will vary on . both the temp that your oven is able to reach, as well as if you're using a pizza stone, steel, baking pan, or other flat surface.
- Remove pie from oven with your peel, and garnish with basil. Allow to rest for 1-2 minutes, drizzle with olive oil, slice and serve. Repeat until fat and happy!