Crispy Grits & Peaches With Bacon Balsamic Drizzle Recipe
Yield: 3 servings that will disappear quickly;
Time Estimate: 40 minutes overall, including 10 minutes of preparation;
Storage Notes: serve immediately;
This is one of those foods that brings together the best of summer and autumn: juicy peaches caramelized with high heat and a little butter, the wonderful textural contrasts of crispy grits, and of course, who'd forget to invite bacon to the party?
All together, this is a wonderful, messy celebration of the the changing of the season.
- 1 Cup white grits
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons crispy bacon (one should always have some crispy bacon in the fridge)
- 1 1/2 Cups good balsamic vinegar
- 4 Peaches
- 2 Tablespoons Gustus Vitae green tea sea salt
- 4 Cups water
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Bring 4 cups of water to boil. Add grits, 1 Tablespoon each butter and green tea sea salt, and return to boil. Reduce to simmer, and cook covered for 20 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Spoon grits into a rectangular pan or similar, to a depth of around an inch. Allow to cool and firm up
- Crumble bacon into a saucepan, and whisk together with balsamic vinegar and remaining green tea sea salt. Heat uncovered to just under a simmer, stirring regularly, until it reduces by half. Remove from heat and reserve.
- Slice cooled grits into small rectangles. Heat a cast iron pan skillet to medium high. Toss in 3 tablespoons butter, and put in grits. Working in batches, cook grits for 3 – 4 minutes, or until they begin to brown. Remove and place on paper towels to dry.
- Cut up peaches into slivers, around 1” wide.
- Toss remaining butter into skillet, and cook peaches, skin side down, around 3 mins.
- Plate grits and peaches, and drizzle with bacon balsamic reduction. Enjoy – use your fingers and get messy.