Cheesy Stuffed Cajun Mushrooms Recipe
Yield: 3 servings
Time Estimate:20 minutes overall, including 5 minutes of preparation and 10 minutes unattended
Storage Notes:serve immediately; keeps for 3 days when refrigerated
Mushrooms are perfect for side dishes - their earthy, umami flavor can be emphasized or downplayed as you'd like, and most common varieties are mild enough that you use them as delicious, almost-bite-szie vehicles for whatever flavor you wish. In this recipe, we add heat and depth with Taste of Cajun, bring out bright notes with some fresh thyme, and All-American it with the addition of a generous amount of melted cheese. This dish is a great compliment to burgers, grilled chicken or steaks, and especially suited to pork.
- 1 Lb. button mushrooms
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 4 Tbs. Taste of Cajun
- 3/4th Cup shredded cheese that will melt (American and mozzarella are good options)
- 2 Tbs neutral oil (canola or sunflower)
- Bonus Points: A couple sprigs of fresh thyme
- Rinse and pat dry mushrooms. Snap off stems. Reserve.
- Finely dice stems and in a large bowl, mix with 1 Tbs neutral oli and 2 Tbs Taste of Cajun.
- Preheat over to 400F. Add 1tbs oil to a large pan and heat on medium high.
- Place mushroom round side down, and stuff with diced stem/spice blend.
- Add mushrooms to hot pan, and toss in butter. Cook, round-side down, for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and place mushrooms on a baking tray. Sprinkle generously with shredded cheese.
- Put baking tray in oven, and bake for 5-8 minutes, or until cheese begins to brown.
- Remove, and sprinkle with remaining Taste of Cajun spice blend. Serve, plated with fresh thyme.