Yield: 10 servings
Time Estimate: 2 hours overall, including 5 minutes of preparation and 6-8 minutes cooking
Storage Notes: serve immediately; keeps for 3 days when refrigerated
This is recipe is ticks every box: easy to prepare and make, easy to scale up or down depending on the size of your crowd, and undeniably delicious. We make this so much we’ve gotten it down to a science - we promise perfection if you follow just a few simple steps. The power behind this dish comes from our sustainably sourced, Non GMO Project verified Montreal Steak Seasoning, and the tenderizing effect it has during marinating, it’s delicious flavor marrying that of the steak.
- 4 Lbs (or so) steak. We prefer strip, but it’s up to you.
- 1 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Full Tin Gustus Vitae’s Montreal Steak Seasoning
- In a large bowl, combine steak, olive oil, and Montreal Steak Seasoning. Mix well by hand, and over with several layers of saran/plastic wrap: you want to cover the steak as completely as possible, with no gap for air.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour 30 minutes, turning twice in the first hour to ensure even marinating.
- Get the grill going to medium heat, or if using coals, create an area away from direct heat.
- Remove steaks from fridge. Dab a paper towel into the marinade, and rub along the grates you’ll be using.
- Using tongs or stabbing with a long fork, remove steaks one by one, allowing excess marinade to drip off.
- Place steaks on grill, cooking for 3 minutes. Place a metal bowl (or make one out of tinfoil), on the grill, and pour in leftover marinade.
- Flip steaks, and cover grill, cooking for another 3-4 minutes, or to preferred doneness.
- Remove steaks, and rest, under a loose tin foil covering, for another 6 minutes. This locks in the juices, and is part of what makes this recipe so incredibly delicious.
- Slice steaks against the grain, and pour over bubbling reserved marinade.
- Bask in applause: this is BBQ perfection.