Fluffy, Cheesy Mashed Potato Rolls | Recipeish | Gustus Vitae
- Yield: 8 Addictive rolls.
- Time Estimate: 45 Minutes, including 25 minutes unattended.
- Storage Notes: Best if served warm, or same day.
- Difficulty: Easy.
The only thing that makes mashed potatoes better is getting to have them twice: once with with dinner, then again in cheesy dinner roll form the next night. This super easy, super fast recipe transforms yesterday's best side into an addictively fluffy, cheesy roll that's lovely with a pat of butter or for mopping up your meal.
- 3/4ths Stick unsalted butter
- 1 Cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 Cup yesterday's mashed potatoes
- 2 1/3rd Cups flour (using bread flour will make it extra fluffy)
- 2 Tbs Taste of Bordeaux
- 1 Tbs Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tbs California Sea Salt
- 1 Tbs baking soda
- 3/4ths Cup buttermilk or 3/4ths Cup whole milk + 1 Tbs white vinegar
- A bit of cooking oil or spray, and flour for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400F, pop butter in the freezer, and assemble your ingredients.
- Lightly spray a crown baker, like this handsome one from Emile Henry, with a bit of cooking oil, then dust with flour and tap out.
- Using a cheese grater, grate frozen unsalted butter into strips, then return to the freezer. These butter strips will make your rolls extra, extra fluffy.
- If you're making your own buttermilk, combine milk with vinegar, and give it a good stir. Allow at least 5 for it to rest and slightly curdle.
- Grate Parmesan, and reserve.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, California Sea Salt, Taste of Bordeaux, and Crushed Red Pepper Flakes.
- Add in the grated frozen butter, and toss gently to coat.
- Fold in mashed potatoes and 3/4ths Cup of the grated Parmesan cheese, then pour in buttermilk, and gently mix until you have an even dough.
- Dust a dry surface with a bit of flour, roll out dough into a log shape, then use a knife to divide into 8 sections.
- Roll each section into a ball, and place in the crown baker.
- Cover, and pop in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove, lightly spray tops with cooking oil and sprinkle on the remaining Parmesan. Return to the oven, and cook uncovered for a further 5 minutes.
- Take the crown baker out of the oven, and allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing the rolls, either serving immediately or reserving in a basket under a cloth until supper is ready.
- Serve with big pats of room temperature butter, and devour.
If you'd like to get your hands on this handsome crown baker, use code GV20 for 20% off at https://www.emilehenryusa.com/